Sex at daybreak (or, if youâ€™re a freelancer, just before noon) isn’t just for newlyweds or long-term couples who happen to be morning people. Sometimes it can work in casual situations, too — in fact, sometimes it’s even better in a casual situation because you haven’t known each other long enough to get truly annoyed by each other’s morning breath. And we happen to think that morning sex is a good litmus test for your regular booty call: If you’re comfortable enough with each other to do it sober, then it’s a booty call worth holding onto. Casual morning sex also confirms that you don’t need a buzz to feel like itâ€™s okay to enjoy sex for sexâ€™s sake. Everyone loves a self-aware booty caller! Also, sometimes you wake up so freakinâ€™ glad that you werenâ€™t wearing beer goggles the night before that you want to knock boots just to celebrate. Whatever your reason for doing it in the morning, here are a few quick tips:
- Try positions other than missionary in order to reduce exposure to morning breath.
- Consider keeping a pack of those dissolvable mint sheets on your night-stand for a quick freshening-up. Mints take too long to eat and gum in bed is just trashy.
- Failing mints, just taking a few big gulps of water will do wonders for your breath.
- Don’t jump out of bed to brush your teeth unless your partner is, too, otherwise you’ll make them even more self-conscious.
- We guarantee that your breath after a pack of cigarettes and five pints of beer was pretty nasty, and it didn’t seem to bother you last night. So stop being such a priss and enjoy the fact that you are having SEX!
- If you’re not a big cuddler, here’s your chance to shine: It’s okay to jump out of bed right after morning sex so long as you return with breakfast in bed for your partner.
This is our bi-weekly Metro column. Read it in print here.