Our contributor Abby Spector, who is majoring in Feminine/Gender/Sexuality Studies at Wesleyan University, confesses her love for her IUD:
- No hormones!
- But if you like hormones, they offer one with hormones.
- I donâ€™t need to remember take a pill, change a patch, get another shot, or visit the doctor.
- Where will you be in 12-years? Thatâ€™s how long the IUD can last. (No worries. You can get it removed any time).
- I love Norway. Norwegians love the IUD, with 27% of their safe, sexually active women using an IUD.
- IUDs are 99% effective. Woo!
- The T-shape makes me think of a mini-cross lodged in my uterus. Itâ€™s like Jesus warding off sperm.
- In the process of insertion, I learned that I have a tilted uterus. I feel unique, like thereâ€™s a mini slide in my va-jay.
- My mom has one. I trust that lady and I love her uterus.
- My bank account. It’s one of the most — if not THE most — inexpensive form of birth control: $500 to $1000 for up to 12 years. That’s less than 7 bucks a month, or less than 23 cents a day!
For more information, go to PlannedParenthood.com or talk to your gynecologist (and yes, you should have one).