Your Call: My Husband Wants Gay Sex

We get a lot of advice questions coming in at EMandLO.com, but sadly, we just can’t answer them all. Which is why, once a week, we turn to you to decide how best to advise a reader. Make your call by leaving your advice in the comments section below:

Dear Em & Lo,

My husband of 26 years recently confided to me that he had advertised in Craigs List to service guys and got 3 responses, one of which ended in reality. He told me he enjoyed it and would do it again. He doesn’t want us to be separated, he encouraged me to seek other men who can sexually fulfill me. His ultimate sexual desire is to have an anal sex. He told me that this is just sex, and nothing else. Should I put up with this? He is overall a decent person who generally supports and adores me. We have two grown kids. He is 71 years old and I am 49.

— Sharing Hubby with Craig

What should S.H.W.C. do?

Say Something

10 Comments on "Your Call: My Husband Wants Gay Sex"

Pam
2 years 3 months ago

As long as he wore protection I would be okay with it. Perhaps you can join him? Too many years together to throw it all away. Be leary of people on Craigslist looking for sex. Good luck!

Ron
1 month 9 days ago

I like Pam’s advice. I’d like to be with another man. And to have my wife join in would be so hot!

cathy
2 years 8 months ago

Other than the age gap, I have been faced with the same. Sadly, I don’t think the lady is lying. My husband began pursuing different sex positions in our bedroom, things that seemed to be between men. I started to look at the Craigs List posts when he was out of town and found photos of him (chest down) taken in our bathroom. I am heartbroken, confused and frightened. Cheater? Liar? bisexual or gay? I find myself moving towards severing the marriage I think I deserve a less complicated life……

M
4 years 3 months ago

Personally, I would be very uncomfortable with this, but this is entirely up to you.

I think the fact that you felt the need to seek approval regarding putting up with this shows that deep down you feel you shouldn’t, otherwise you’d have no doubts.
As many have said, it’s less about the gay sex than it is about the trust and safety risk – after 26 years, he really didn’t feel he could confide in you, or respect you enough to keep you safe?

It is entirely normal that over the course of nearly 30 years, and such a large age difference that you’ve grown apart and want different things. Since you’re kids are fully grown there is not really any obligation to stick around in a relationship where neither of you want the same things and – more importantly – you may not able to provide what each other wants even if you’re willing to compromise. I think you really need to evaluate YOUR feelings toward the situation, not ours. As you grow older, companionship is often more important than sex – is he someone you still want to grow old with, even if you’re not sleeping with eachother? Or at this point, would it be wise to look toward a more fulfilling relationship with someone you’re on the same page with? Either way, I wish you luck.

jd
4 years 3 months ago

First and foremost. Get yourself tested immediately and then again is 3 mos and 6 mos and in a year to make sure you are not at risk for a potentially life threatening STD. Insist that your spouse does like wise. Regardless as to what you choose after this your health is at risk because of this – so get tested no matter what happens next.

If you choose to be intimate w/ your spouse after this – insist he get tested on the same schedule and until and unless he comes back with a clean bill of health and even then given his duplicity and proclivities to engage in sex with others – a no glove no love policy should be enforced as a a non-negotiable.

Fact is as has been stated – he deceived you, and put your health at risk!

Jay Jay
4 years 3 months ago

Am I the only one concerned about anonymous anal sex??? My first tip would be to find out whether or not your husband was practicing safe sex with this craiglister. Furthermore, as nothing is 100%, I would want to get myself tested as well as my husband. You never can be too careful, and never underestimate the power of peace of mind.

Also, the secretive side of it makes me nervous. Why now? And if it is as innocent as he makes it sound, why not discuss with you before taking part?

I feel as if the poster is not telling the whole story…she clearly has no problem with the infidelity (has this happened before?), but seems to be more focused on her possible limitations in the bedroom. Additionally, when her husband suggests she seek sexual fulfillment elsewhere, it seems to indicate that he and she aren’t intimate together anymore. Is he asking you to stay in the marriage or providing you with an “out”? It’s impossible to determine what you should do without knowing the full nature of the relationship, including feelings and overall dynamic.