In case you missed it — in case you were wondering why all your friends were using the word “vagina” in their Facebook status updates over the weekend — late last week two representatives (both women) were banned from speaking in the Michigan House during a debate over a bill that bans all abortions after 20 weeks, with no exceptions for rape, incest or the health of the mother. The Majority Floor Leader Jim Stamas hasn’t specified exactly what offended him, but one of the representatives, Democrat Lisa Brown, claims it’s because she used the word vagina. “Apparently, ‘vagina’ is another v-word that Must Not Be Named. Like Voldemort,â€ť Brown told Jezebel.com. Here’s a (very abridged!) sampling of Vaginagate coverage:
- Here’s a pretty good summary ofÂ what went down, if you need a catch-up.
- Jezebel brings you 25 Republican-approved ways to say “vagina” without offending political pussies.
- Rep. Lisa Brown is going to perform The Vagina Monologues with Eve Ensler on the state Capitol steps.
- Brown explains her position in the Guardian newspaper, seeing as she’s no longer allowed to do so in her own House.
- The inevitable (but still hilarious) Twitter hashtag:Â #vaginamovielines
- AnÂ open letter to Michigan House Republicans.
- Sunday sermon:Â Would Jesus have said “vagina”?