A few weeks back when Geraldo Riviera tweeted a topless selfie, a resounding “EWWWW!” went around the Internet. And sure, we get it. It’s Geraldo, after all, douche of divorced douches, showing the kind of near-crotch-action that is better suited to Abercrombie & Fitch models. (And he apparently came to his senses pretty quickly: The pic was soon taken down from his Twitter account, replaced by this Tweet: “Note to self: no tweeting after 1am.”)
But here’s the other thing: The dude is seventy. And, you have to admit, he looks pretty good for seventy. Why is it so gross for a man in his seventies to want to show off his bod? Why is the thought of older people being sexual or sensual so ew-worthy in general? On the very rare occasion when you do see an older couple going at it on screen, the horrified reaction in the audience is on a par with when a dog gets blown to bits in an action movie.
So we thought we’d share five reasons — according to scientific research — why sex keeps you looking younger. Screw all the ew-ers out there… let them sit at home getting frail and wrinkly and doing Suduko puzzles!
- Sex releases endorphins, the “feel good” chemical which acts as a natural painkiller, lessens anxiety, and helps you sleep better (all of which makes you look younger!).
- Exercise boosts circulation, which is good for the heart — and gives your complexion that after-sex glow.
- Sex causes the human growth hormone to be released, making the skin look more elastic.
- Regular sex can boost estrogen levels, which prevents skin dryness.
- Sex¬†puts a smile on your face and a bounce in your step (especially when you know that everyone around you assumes you’re “past it”). Okay, so the scientists haven’t exactly studied this one, but you know it’s true!