Advice from three of our guy friends. This week they answer the following: “What’s a good holiday present for 1) a guy you’ve just started dating (sleeping with), 2) a guy you’ve been exclusive with for a year or so, 3) a husband?” To ask the guys your own question, click here.
Straight Single Guy (Tom Miller): Christmas (or Hannukah) gifts are a tricky subject. Most guys catch a touch of agita about gift-giving for two reasons: 1) a great gift from you may mean that things are going a little too fast for him; and 2) he‚Äôll feel like a real yutz if you dramatically out-spend him.
The best advice I can give is to give a gift that shows how well you know him. If you‚Äôre newly dating (or just boning), something small does the trick. Think, a shirt that you think would look great on him or some piece of media (book, music, movie, game) that you would enjoy together. Two years gets a little tricky; the big challenge is finding something that shows how well you know him. Does he love the Red Hot Chili Peppers? Get him tickets. A gadget is a great gift at this point too.
When you‚Äôre married, you presumably share finances, so you have to be a little careful with extravagance. Give him an experience. A rafting trip, a scuba-diving class or a trip to somewhere he‚Äôs always wanted to go. A book of very specific coupons is always a great gift, especially if they‚Äôre sexy OR get-out-of-chore in nature.
Straight Married Guy (Fred): 1) gadgets in the $40 range, e.g.¬†cordless screwdriver, video game, iTunes gift card, BluRay of favorite movie, remote-control toy helicopter. Or a hand-made coupon for one blowjob.
2) Gadgets in the $60 range, e.g.¬†power drill, any power tool, video game, BluRay of favorite movie, concert/sports tickets, noise-cancelling headphones. Or a hand-made coupon for one blowjob.
3) Gadgets in the $100 range (or higher), e.g.¬†DeWalt power drill, any power tool, BluRay player (get the same brand as his other equipment, Panasonic and Sony are good bets), Playstation portable PSP, iPad, Kindle, good knives (if he likes to cook), slippers (I love slippers). Or a hand-made coupon for one blowjob.
Gay Committed Guy (Terence): 1) An all-day sex Sunday. 2) A threesome. 3) A call girl. Okay, just kidding. I’d get a new boyfriend tix to whatever sporting event he digs and is on at that time of year. After a year I’d get him some kind of adventure ticket (skydiving, bungee, hang-gilding etc). And for the husband, I’d book a hotel for the weekend, send him for a massage and then stay in bed (breakfast-sex-lunch-sex-dinner, etc.)
- Em & Lo’s Sexy Holiday Gift Guide
- What’s a Good Present for a Crush/Boyfriend/Husband?
- The Best Holiday Gift EVER Is Now Under Ten Bucks!
Our “guys” are a rotating group of contributors. Tom Miller writes the Tomfoolery blog for YourTango; Terence is an American living in Sydney;¬†Matt is a little shy. To ask the guys your own question, click here.